Accounting Assistant (San Francisco)
Location: San Francisco, CA
Date Posted: January 24, 2019
The American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California (ACLU-NC) seeks a motivated, organized, and capable Accounting Assistant to join our Finance and Administration Department. The position will manage a wide range of administrative activities to support the ACLU-NC’s finance and operations. The position will be based in our San Francisco office and reports directly to the Controller.
You are a self-starter who thrives in a busy, bustling environment with the ability to easily balance multiple projects while staying focused on the details that matter. You work well under pressure and are professional at all times with strong oral and written communication skills. You are comfortable in a support role, ask the right questions and take initiative in completing tasks. You treat every person with whom you work with dignity and respect and actively work to foster an equitable and inclusive experience for staff, clients, and other partners in your work.
You will directly contribute to the Finance & Administration’s team efforts to provide operational and finance support to maintain our office’s operations.
About the Organization
The ACLU-NC is an affiliate of a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights. For most of the last century, it has been at the heart of many of the most major – and sometimes controversial – struggles for civil liberties and civil rights in our state. Our mission is to ensure that Constitutional rights don’t just exist on paper, but are protected in practice. As we move into a new era and face dangerous policies that threaten our civil rights and civil liberties, we remain dedicated to confronting these issues and defending the progress we have made. We must use our decades of experience in impact litigation, legislative advocacy, and fearless organizing to fight these un-American policies and protect our most cherished rights and freedoms. We are the resistance. Join us.
Duties and Responsibilities
Assistance to the Finance unit:
- Run reports out of accounting software for budget holders & Chapters
- Enter data and perform routine daily, weekly, and monthly accounting functions utilizing QuickBooks accounting software.
- Corporate credit cards: handle the entry and reconciliation of charges, follow up with card holders, manage individual user agreements
- Assist with researching variances on the ledger
- Accounts payable processing in conjunction with our Staff Accountant
- Resolve disputes with vendors as necessary.
- Chapter finances: Point person to work with Organizing staff on maintaining Chapter accounts
- Other related projects as needed, such as assistance with creating presentation materials, creating and editing forms, formatting documents, updating our financial procedures
- Account access administrator
- Provide assistance to Finance Staff on reporting needs, such as FPPC reporting
Assistance to the HR unit:
- FPPC Lobbying Time reporting: follow up on monthly timesheets, review and enter them onto the quarterly report
- Assist with HR projects, including, but not limited to, data entry, audits, etc.
SF Office Operations Support
- Oversee the inventory of office supplies, including maintaining a regular stock of supplies, responding to supply requests, ordering supplies as needed and anticipating requirements, stocking supplies and maintaining an organized supply room
- Take purchase requests from various departments and get price quotes from suppliers.
- Contact suppliers to schedule deliveries or to discuss shortages or missed deliveries.
- Maintain purchasing files, inventories, and price lists, and anticipate supply shortages.
- Prepare purchase orders on behalf of the organization.
- Review prices and product specifications from various suppliers to determine which would provide the best deal.
- Track deliveries and make sure their companies receive exactly what was ordered from suppliers.
- Answer supplier and customer inquiries about order changes or cancellations and check requisition orders for accuracy and against current stock.
- Front desk back up
- Special projects and other duties as needed
Education / Experience:
- A minimum of one year experience in accounts payable/finance
- A minimum of two years experience in a fast-paced non-profit setting preferred
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Prior experience using QuickBooks preferred
- Ability to think proactively, anticipate problems, analyze situations, develop effective solutions, and take initiative to facilitate the smooth operations and schedules
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to represent the organization to the public as well as interface with all levels of staff and volunteers while maintaining tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Excellent judgment at all times and especially when dealing with sensitive issues/situations.
- Experience in coordinating and organizing logistics and travel arrangements meetings, events, and trainings.
- Experience exercising discretion and confidentiality with sensitive information.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with proven experience and excellence in drafting professional content for external communications.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, stay organized, and complete assignments under deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail
- Must be available for weekend and evening responsibilities
Must be available for some travel within Northern California.
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently.
Competitive salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation in addition to 14 office holidays; 100% employer-paid medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents and spouse or domestic partner; life and long-term disability insurance; and, 401(k) plan with employer match. Starting salary is $24.76 - $29.81 an hour.
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on February 28th, 2019. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will be evaluating applications on a rolling basis. Applications must include (1) a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above, (2) resume, and (3) a list of four references. Applicants concurrently applying to any other position with the ACLU should state what other position they are applying for in the cover letter. Please submit your application in PDF format to the attention of Department Administrative Assistant search, ACLU of Northern California, 39 Drumm Street, San Francisco, CA 94111 or online (preferred method) at: https://aclunc.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0jsb3
The ACLU of Northern California advances equity and inclusion in the workplace by providing equal employment opportunity to support a work environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (over 40), sexual orientation, military and veteran status, and any other basis prohibited by law. The organization also provides reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. This equal employment opportunity policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, advancement, training, problem resolution, and separation from employment. Through this policy, the ACLU-NC strives to establish and maintain an equitable and accessible work environment that is free from discrimination and supportive of a workforce that reflects the rich diversity of our communities and the people we serve.