Location: San Francisco
Application deadline: open until filled
The ACLU of Northern California seeks a motivated, capable, intuitive Administrative Assistant who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced, non-profit advocacy organization, skillfully handling a range of administrative responsibilities in rapidly changing environment, while communicating positive energy and a calm demeanor. This position reports to the Managing Director and is situated within the Office of the Executive Director.
You are a thoughtful helper who ensures that your supervisors have the support they need each day; you are comfortable with the range of responsibilities of an assistant; you demonstrate good judgement; you are professional at all times; you treat everyone with dignity and respect; you manage stressful situations with grace and poise.
Your job is to ensure that the Director of Development, the Communications Director, and other Senior Manager(s) have top-notch administrative support to do their best work.
About the organization
The ACLU-NC is an affiliate of a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights. For most of the last century, it has been at the heart of many of the most major – and sometimes controversial – struggles for civil liberties and civil rights in our state. Our mission is to ensure that Constitutional rights don’t just exist on paper, but are protected in practice. As we move into a new era and face dangerous policies that threaten our civil rights and civil liberties, we remain dedicated to confronting these issues and defending the progress we have made. We must use our decades of experience in impact litigation, legislative advocacy, and fearless organizing to fight these un-American policies and protect our most cherished rights and freedoms. We are the resistance. Join us.
Duties & responsibilities
- Provide administrative support for up to three and no more than four people, starting with the Communications Director and Director of Development. Report to Managing Director;
- Assist with the directors’ schedule/calendar and travel arrangements;
- Process expense reimbursements, check requests, timesheets, invoices, etc;
- Provide administrative support for Department and Board meetings/activities including scheduling, set-up, material preparation, food ordering, and note-taking, as needed;
- Interface with vendors;
- Maintain directors’ files and other systems;
- Provide cross-coverage for other Administrative Assistants in the organization as needed, including, but not limited to, support of Board and Department meetings/activities and front desk coverage;
- Organize and prepare information for director’s use in meetings, presentations, and reports;
- Conduct occasional research;
- Assist with other projects and events as needed; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a fast-paced non-profit setting preferred;
- Ability to think proactively, anticipate problems, analyze situations, develop effective solutions, and take initiative to facilitate the smooth operations and schedules for directors;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to represent the organization to the public as well as interface with all levels of staff and volunteers while maintaining tact, diplomacy and confidentiality;
- Excellent judgment at all times and especially when dealing with sensitive issues/situations;
- Physical ability to set-up, staff, and clean-up from meetings and events, including moving chairs and tables, and carrying boxes and equipment;
- Proficiency with office technology and information systems (including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Skype for Business);
- Experience in coordinating and organizing logistics and travel arrangements meetings, events, and trainings;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with proven experience and excellence in drafting professional content for external communications;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, stay organized, and complete assignments under deadlines;
- Must be available for occasional weekend and evening responsibilities;
- Must be available for occasional travel within Northern California; and
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently.
Competitive salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation in addition to 14 office holidays; medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents and spouse or domestic partner; life and long-term disability insurance; and, 401(k) plan with employer match.
Applications must include (1) a cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) a list of three references. Applicants concurrently applying to any other position with the ACLU should state what other position they are applying for in the cover letter.
Please submit your application in PDF format to to the attention of Executive Assistant search, ACLU of Northern California, 39 Drumm Street, San Francisco, CA 94111 or e-mail (preferred method) to: https://aclunc.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk01sm9
The ACLU of Northern California advances equity and inclusion in the workplace by providing equal employment opportunity to support a work environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (over 40), sexual orientation, military and veteran status, and any other basis prohibited by law. The organization also provides reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. This equal employment opportunity policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, advancement, training, problem resolution, and separation from employment. Through this policy, the ACLU-NC strives to establish and maintain an equitable and accessible work environment that is free from discrimination and supportive of a workforce that reflects the rich diversity of our communities and the people we serve.