Date Posted: April 9th, 2020
Location: San Francisco
The Digital Strategist is a member of the Communications Department’s efforts to ensure top-notch strategic communications to advance advocacy goals of the ACLU of Northern California (ACLU-NC) aimed at maximizing our impact and enhancing the protection of civil liberties and civil rights.
You are a self-starter who thrives in a busy, bustling environment with the ability to easily balance multiple projects coming at you at once while staying focused on the details that matter. You work well under pressure and are professional at all times and have strong oral and written communication skills. You are committed to racial and social justice and you treat every person with whom you work with dignity and respect. You actively work to foster an equitable and inclusive experience for staff and other partners in your work.
The Digital Strategist will lead and execute digital engagement strategies and analysis as a key member of the Communications Department. Their work will contribute in specific and comprehensive ways, including managing all website platforms and social media content and strategy, blast email production, troubleshooting and tech support, data analysis, and product and project management and networking. This role will advance the work of the ACLU-NC by utilizing the skills and tactics necessary to amplify and publicize our work, educate the public, engage our base online, and influence how our issues are framed in the media. This position is one that will lead with authenticity and be guided by a strong sense of curiosity for all communities and individuals. The Digital Strategist is passionate about telling stories and will work to bring relevant experiences to light.
About the Organization:
The ACLU-NC is an affiliate of a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights. For most of the last century, it has been at the heart of many of the most major – and sometimes controversial – struggles for civil liberties and civil rights in our state. Our mission is to ensure that Constitutional rights don’t just exist on paper, but are protected in practice. As we face dangerous policies that threaten our civil rights and civil liberties, we remain dedicated to confronting these issues and defending the progress we have made. We must use our decades of experience in impact litigation, legislative advocacy, and fearless organizing to fight policies that are antithetical to our most cherished rights, values and freedoms. Our Legal and Policy staff and Organizers are critical members of the ACLU-NC team. Join us.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Website Content and Design Management
- Manages the ACLU-NC website and digital advocacy efforts.
- Oversees the daily maintenance, support, and design of the website.
- Manages projects to enhance online systems, infrastructure, and content.
- Optimizes site performance.
2. Email production
- Strategically uses email marketing best practices to connect with influential external audiences for list growth and to promote initiatives, create an impact, increase conversions, educate, and attract new members and donors.
- Builds emails and landing forms for ACLU-NC campaigns.
- Performs A/B testing on subject lines, copy, and content to improve user responsiveness.
3. Troubleshooting & Tech support
- Manages user data through secure webforms and shares with relevant staff while maintaining user privacy.
- Maintains digital security compliance, including e-commerce security.
- Interfaces with National ACLU to troubleshoot issues with online giving, email marketing, webforms, user database/profiles, and actions.
- Performs quality assurance testing on forms, emails, and websites — across devices, with a focus on mobile responsiveness.
- Recommends new features, feedback, and other improvements that will increase user interaction across digital properties.
4. Social Media Strategy
- Develops, recommends, implements, and consults on social media strategies to reach ACLU audiences online.
- Creates multi-media content.
- Optimizes landing pages for social sharing.
- Incorporates current and emerging digital media strategies in strategic communications plans.
- Identify social media opportunities to promote ACLU-NC’s work and resources, and to help reach goals for increased reach and engagement on ACLU-NC’s social media platforms, email action networks, and website.
5. Product management & Networking
- Cultivates strategic relationships with industry colleagues including current and future vendors, and the National ACLU.
- Collaborates with partners and vendors to create ACLU-branded advocacy campaigns, and/or related websites and online products.
- Leads trainings on digital communications tools.
- Demonstrates leadership and expertise in representing the ACLU-NC at meetings and trainings.
- Supervises consultants and vendors.
6. Data analysis
- Tracks and analyzes web traffic, site statistics, A/B test results, search engine rankings, email and social media engagement, and other meaningful success metrics.
- At least 5 years experience in digital communications
- Professional experience using CRM technology, Google Analytics, and social media analytics trackers
- Proficiency with Social Media advertising and Google Ads.
- Experience with issue-based campaigning, brand, or advertising strategy with a communications, social entrepreneurship, or journalism agency
- Knowledge of public policy with a commitment to civil rights, civil liberties, racial and social justice.
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills
- Proficient with Photoshop and familiar with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with Video and Audio editing and production
Competitive salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation in addition to 14 office holidays; medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents and spouse or domestic partner; life and long-term disability insurance; and, 401(k) plan with employer match. Starting annual salary is: $77,426.95 to $86,487.56
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications must include (1) a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above, (2) resume, (3) a list of three to five professional references.
Please submit your application in PDF form here: https://boards.greenhouse.io/aclunc/jobs/4709401002
The ACLU-NC is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process
The ACLU of Northern California advances equity and inclusion in the workplace by providing equal employment opportunity to support a work environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (over 40), sexual orientation, military and veteran status, arrest or conviction record, and any other basis prohibited by law. The organization also provides reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. This equal employment opportunity policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, advancement, training, problem resolution, and separation from employment. Through this policy, the ACLU-NC strives to establish and maintain an equitable and accessible work environment that is supportive and free from discrimination.