The American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California (ACLU-NC) seeks a motivated and organized Donor Services Specialist to join our Development Department. This position is based in our San Francisco office and reports directly to the Development Operations Manager.
You strive for excellent customer service in all of your work. You thrive in a support role, making sure the people you support have what they need to be successful. You are a self-starter who can prioritize and manage multiple projects with competing deadlines while keeping an eye on the details that matter. You manage up by asking the right questions and taking initiative in completing tasks. You adapt quickly to changing priorities and are comfortable working both independently and collaboratively on a team. You work well under pressure in a busy, bustling environment. You bring strong oral and written communication skills to your interactions. You treat every person with whom you work with dignity and respect, and you actively work to foster an equitable and inclusive experience for donors, staff, and other partners in your work. You’re open to being challenged to think differently and learn new ways of doing things in order to maximize your contribution to the organization.
As a key member of the Development Operations and Donor Services unit, you are the frontline responder to incoming donor communications while providing best-in-class customer service. You are responsible for processing philanthropic gifts and ensuring donors are acknowledged and appreciated by the ACLU-NC for their support. You ensure accurate and timely data entry of donor communications and all other record updates into the database and provide routine database maintenance and hygiene to ensure data integrity. You support the Development Operations Manager in creating and maintaining innovative and efficient systems that improve the department’s workflow and communication. You are responsible for providing top-notch administrative support to the Development Department, including executive support to the Director of Development.
Duties and Responsibilities
Database and Gift Administration
- Process gifts and pledges into the database
- Manage pledge tracking and fulfillment cycle
- Maintain electronic and hard copy records of donations, pledges, and grant files in accordance with our departmental policies and procedures
- Ensure donor biographical information and correspondences are recorded in the database and consistently updated, accurate, and easily retrievable
- Run and review data hygiene reports; identify bad data and correct as needed
- Produce segmented mailing and emailing lists for cultivation and stewardship efforts, as well as for other ACLU communications directed to our supporters
Donor Stewardship & Communication
- Respond to and triage donor services-related issues, including answering questions from donors about how to give and recording feedback on a range of ACLU issues
- Prepare and mail acknowledgment letters
Donor Engagement Events Support
- Manage the overall production of invitations, letters, and labels for donor events, including producing in-house mailings, coordinating mailings with outside mail-house, etc.
- Support the Donor Engagement team with managing RSVPs
- Provide on-site logistical support for donor engagement events
- Provide administrative support to Development Department staff, including executive support for the Director of Development
- Provide administrative support for Department and Development Committee meetings/activities including scheduling, set-up, material preparation, food ordering, and note-taking, as needed
- Review all department invoices, check requests, and expense reimbursements for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment
- Manage the department-wide and Development Operations calendars
- Provide cross-coverage for other Donor Services Specialist in the department as needed
- Other tasks and duties as assigned to advance the ACLU mission
- Two years of experience in customer service / administrative support role;
- Ability to handle challenging and sensitive customer services issues professionally with grace, tact, and diplomacy;
- Experience exercising discretion and confidentiality with sensitive information;
- Exceptionally strong project and time management skills, including demonstrated capacity to manage and prioritize competing projects and complete assignments under deadlines;
- Solution-oriented approach, including the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively, and demonstrated willingness to take initiative while juggling several priorities all with readiness, optimism, and calm under pressure;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including excellent interpersonal skills to work with donors, staff, and volunteers with different backgrounds and life experiences;
- Excellent judgment, dependable, and punctual;
- Desire to learn, even when it means moving outside your comfort zone; and
- Proficiency with office technology and information systems, including Microsoft Excel and Word, with an ability and willingness to learn new software tools
- Experience with Salesforce or other donor database applications.
- Experience working in the non-profit or philanthropic sectors.
Competitive salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation in addition to 14 office holidays; medical, vision, and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents and spouse or domestic partner; life and long-term disability insurance; and, 401(k) plan with employer match. Starting salary range is $21.62-$24.15 an hour.
Applications must include (1) a resume and (2) a list of three references. Applicants concurrently applying to any other position with the ACLU should state what other position they are applying for in the cover letter.
Please submit your application in PDF form here: https://boards.greenhouse.io/aclunc/jobs/4912796002
The ACLU-NC is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The ACLU of Northern California advances equity and inclusion in the workplace by providing equal employment opportunity to support a work environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (over 40), sexual orientation, military and veteran status, arrest or conviction record, and any other basis prohibited by law. The organization also provides reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. This equal employment opportunity policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, advancement, training, problem resolution, and separation from employment. Through this policy, the ACLU-NC strives to establish and maintain an equitable and accessible work environment that is supportive and free from discrimination.