JOB TITLE: Executive Assistant, General Counsel
Location: San Francisco, CA
Date Posted: June 25, 2020
The ACLU of Northern California seeks a motivated, capable, intuitive Executive Assistant who thrives in a dynamic, fast-faced, non-profit advocacy organization, skillfully handling a range of administrative responsibilities in rapidly changing environment, while communicating positive energy and a calm demeanor. This confidential position reports to the General Counsel.
You are a self-starter who thrives in a busy, bustling environment with the ability to easily balance multiple projects coming at you at once while staying focused on the details that matter. You work well under pressure and are always professional and have strong oral and written communication skills. You are committed to racial and social justice and you treat every person with whom you work with dignity and respect. You actively work to foster an equitable and inclusive experience for staff and other partners in your work.
Your job is to ensure that the General Counsel has top-notch administrative support so they can thrive and do their best work.
About the Organization
The ACLU of Northern California is an affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights. The ACLU of Northern California (ACLU NorCal) is comprised of two distinct corporations, the ACLU Foundation of Northern California (501c3) and the ACLU of Northern California (501c4). The incumbent is a joint employee of both corporations. For most of the last century, it has been at the heart of many of the most major – and sometimes controversial – struggles for civil liberties and civil rights in our state. Our mission is to ensure that Constitutional rights don’t just exist on paper but are protected in practice. As we move into a new era and face dangerous policies that threaten our civil rights and civil liberties, we remain dedicated to confronting these issues and defending the progress we have made. We must use our decades of experience in impact litigation, legislative advocacy, and fearless organizing to fight these un-American policies and protect our most cherished rights and freedoms. We are the resistance. Join us.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performing complex administrative work involving internal legal management, including creating, maintaining, and organizing electronic documents (files) with a high degree of accuracy.
- Responsible for high volume editing and document production
- Complete tasks in compliance with corporate regulations concerning meeting notices, timely distribution of agendas for the Union and Foundation Boards of Directors and Board Committee meetings, attendance at Board/Committee meetings and the accurate recording and distribution of the minutes of Board/Committee meetings, maintaining rosters and meeting schedules in BoardMax, preparing meeting/event materials, set-up, food ordering, and organizing logistics, and assist Directors with project follow-up from Board/Committee meetings.
- Provide cross-coverage for other Assistants and provide direct support to other members of the Executive Management Team as needed, including, but not limited to, support of Board and Department meetings/activities and front desk coverage.
- Maintaining organizational records
- Document Management
- Taking minutes/note taking
- Processing expense reimbursements, check requests, timesheets, invoices, etc.
- Planning and staffing of meetings and events
- Tracking and organizing contracts
- Organizing and preparing information for General Counsel’s use in meetings, presentations, and reports
- On-line researching and preparing reports
- Ability to take clear direction, including answering emails and use of electronic communication tools
- Assisting with other administrative tasks as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Experience supporting executive level administrators, a minimum of five years’ experience in a fast-paced setting.
- Certifications and technical skills are a plus
- A college degree is highly desirable
- Excellent independent judgment and emotional intelligence especially when dealing with sensitive issues/situations
- Ability to think proactively, anticipate problems, analyze situations, develop effective solutions, and self motivator and ability to take clear direction electronically or in-person
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with all levels of staff while maintaining tact, diplomacy and confidentiality
- Experience in coordinating and organizing logistics and travel arrangements meetings, events, and trainings
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with proven experience and excellence in drafting professional content for communications
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, stay organized, and complete assignments under deadlines
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently
Competitive compensation is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation in addition to 14 office holidays; medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents and spouse or domestic partner; life and long-term disability insurance; and, 401(k) plan with employer match. Starting salary range is $32.17 to $35.94 per hour.
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will be evaluating applications on a rolling basis. Applications must include (1) resume, (2) a cover letter, and (3) a list of three references. Applicants concurrently applying to any other position with the ACLU should state what other position they are applying for in the cover letter.
Please submit your application online at: https://boards.greenhouse.io/aclunc/jobs/4776314002
The ACLU-NC is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The ACLU-NC is committed to creating a work environment that is free from discrimination and supportive of a workforce that reflects the rich diversity of our communities and the people we serve. The ACLU-NC provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), sexual orientation, military and veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions and any other basis prohibited by law. The ACLU-NC provides reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. The ACLU-NC embraces Fair Chance policies. This Equal Employment Opportunity Policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, advancement, training, problem resolution, and separation from employment. The ACLU-NC encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), sexual orientation, military and veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, record of arrest or conviction and any other basis protected by law. To assess our progress toward achieving a diverse workforce, and to comply with reporting obligations, the ACLU-NC periodically invites staff to voluntarily provide information about their gender, race, ethnicity, and other personal characteristics, in a manner that does not identify individual respondents