Location: San Francisco
Date Posted: November 18th, 2019
The American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California (ACLU-NC) seeks a motivated, organized, and capable HR Assistant. The position will manage a wide range activities to support the ACLU-NC’s HR department. The position will be based in our San Francisco office and report to the HR Director.
You are a self-starter who thrives in a busy environment with the ability to easily balance multiple tasks and projects while staying focused on the details that matter. You work well under pressure and are always professional with strong oral and written communication skills. You are comfortable in a support role, ask the right questions and take initiative in completing tasks. You treat every person with whom you work with dignity and respect and actively work to foster an equitable and inclusive environment.
You support the day-to-day processes related to the operation and function of the HR Department. This position reports to the HR Director and works closely with the HR, Operations, and Finance teams.
About the Organization
The ACLU-NC is an affiliate of a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights. For most of the last century, it has been at the heart of many of the most major – and sometimes controversial – struggles for civil liberties and civil rights in our state. Our mission is to be enduring guardians of justice, fairness, equality, and freedom, working to protect and advance civil liberties for all Californians. As we move into a new era and face dangerous policies that threaten our civil rights and civil liberties, we remain dedicated to confronting these issues and defending the progress we have made. We must use our decades of experience in impact litigation, legislative advocacy, and fearless organizing to fight these un-American policies and protect our most cherished rights and freedoms. We are the resistance. Join us.
Duties & Responsibilities
- HR Department Administration:
- Maintain accurate and up to date personnel files and performing general HR filing
- Respond to routine employee requests and questions sent to the HR email address
- Process HR expense invoices to accounts payable for payment
- Send all staff reminders regarding timesheet and time off submission, holidays, etc.
- Ensure HR documents/forms and other resources are up to date
- Coordinate HR trainings, events and activities
- Respond to requests for verification of employment.
- Provide administrative support for the HR Director and Personnel Committee, including maintaining rosters and meeting schedules in BoardMax, preparing meeting/event materials, set-up, food ordering, organizing logistics, and drafting minutes and board documents, as needed. Assist with project follow-up from Board/Committee meetings.
- Benefits, Recruiting, and Payroll:
- Input and update employee information in HRIS
- Support HR onboarding processes and follow up with colleagues and new hires to ensure new hire checklist items have been completed
- Assist with benefit administration and open enrollment, updating carriers on new enrollments and terminations, help resolve staff benefits questions, running and reviewing reports
- Assist with administrative tasks related to recruiting: manages job postings, schedules phone and in-person interviews, conducts references checks
- Review bi-weekly timesheets and follow up with employees and supervisors to ensure accuracy and approval. Process the transactions within the time/payroll system.
- 2 years of HR experience
- Demonstrated experience and enjoyment working with and supporting a diverse workforce.
- Strong time management skills.
- High level of organization, attention to detail, and follow-through.
- Adaptable to different work styles
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent judgment at all times and especially when dealing with sensitive issues/situations.
- Experience exercising discretion and confidentiality with sensitive information.
Competitive compensation is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation in addition to 14 office holidays; medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents and spouse or domestic partner; life and long-term disability insurance; and, 401(k) plan with employer match. Starting salary is $24.52 to $28.60 an hour.
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will be evaluating applications on a rolling basis. Applications must include (1) a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above, (2) resume, and (3) a list of four references. Applicants concurrently applying to any other position with the ACLU should state what other position they are applying for in the cover letter. Please submit your application online at https://boards.greenhouse.io/aclunc/jobs/4526931002.
The ACLU-NC is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The ACLU of Northern California advances equity and inclusion in the workplace by providing equal employment opportunity to support a work environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (over 40), sexual orientation, military and veteran status, arrest or conviction record, and any other basis prohibited by law. The organization also provides reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. This equal employment opportunity policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, advancement, training, problem resolution, and separation from employment. Through this policy, the ACLU-NC strives to establish and maintain an equitable and accessible work environment that is supportive and free from discrimination.