Program Administrative Assistant (San Francisco)
Location: San Francisco
Date Posted: August 26th, 2019
The American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of Northern California (ACLU NorCal) seeks a Program Administrative Assistant.
You are a bright, positive, and dependable administrative professional. You will keep a constant pulse on your team’s operations and work strategically on projects and events that will allow your managers and team members to do their best work. You never miss a detail and are capable of remaining focused and solution-oriented. You enjoy juggling various responsibilities, taking initiative on new projects and working with a diverse and dynamic team.
Provide administrative and communication support to Chief Program Officer (CPO), who oversees the Legal Policy, Organizing, Communications and Legislative departments of the ACLU of Northern California. The CPO is responsible for providing support to program departments, including program planning and assessment. This position will also assist the CPO in program assessment and data collection, analysis and reporting, including gathering information on litigation, policy advocacy, organizing, publicly-available demographics, etc.
About the Organization
ACLU NorCal is an affiliate of a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights. For most of the last century, it has been at the heart of many major – and sometimes controversial – struggles for civil liberties and civil rights in our state. Our mission is to ensure that Constitutional rights don’t just exist on paper but are protected in practice. Facing new and ongoing threats to civil rights and civil liberties, we remain dedicated to confronting these issues and defending the progress we have made. We must use our decades of experience in impact litigation, legislative advocacy, and fearless organizing to fight unfair and illegal policies and to protect our most cherished rights and freedoms. Join us.
Duties & Responsibilities
Report directly to the CPO to provide support, including, but not limited to:
- Making travel arrangements
- Maintain files and other systems
- Taking minutes/note-taking
- Processing expense reimbursements, check requests, timesheets, invoices, etc.
- Interfacing with vendors
- Planning and staffing meetings and events
- Participating in internal and external relations
- Track and organize contracts
- Organize and prepare information for CPO’s use in meetings, presentations, and reports.
- Conduct research to support program assessment.
- Assist with other projects and events and program directors as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Provide support to CPO in communicating the mission, vision, values of program department internally and externally.
Provide cross-coverage for other Assistants in the program departments of the organization as needed, including, but not limited to, support meetings/activities and events.
Education / Experience:
- No educational requirement.
- Previous administrative or executive assistant or similar relevant experience required; at least three years in a fast-paced setting preferred.
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Ability to think proactively, anticipate problems, analyze situations, develop effective solutions, and take initiative to facilitate the smooth operations and schedules for Chief Program Officer.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to represent the organization to the public as well as interface with all levels of staff and volunteers while maintaining tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Experience in coordinating and organizing logistics and travel arrangements meetings, events, and trainings.
- Experience and/or interest gathering and organizing qualitative and quantitative program data to support assessment and improvement.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with proven experience and excellence in drafting professional content for external communications.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, stay organized, and complete assignments under deadlines.
- Experience with and commitment to working with colleagues from diverse backgrounds to support an inclusive and productive work environment.
- Excellent judgment at all times and especially when dealing with sensitive issues/situations.
- Experience exercising discretion and confidentiality with sensitive information.
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently.
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
- Proficiency with office technology and information systems (including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Skype for Business).
Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation in addition to 14 office holidays; employer-paid medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents and spouse or domestic partner; life and long-term disability insurance; and, 401(k) plan with employer match. Starting salary is $24.76-$29.81.
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. Applications must include, (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) a list of three references. Applicants concurrently applying to any other position with the ACLU should state what other position they are applying for in the cover letter.
Please submit your application in PDF format to the attention of Program Administrative Assistant Search to: https://boards.greenhouse.io/aclunc/jobs/4412516002
The ACLU-NC is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The ACLU of Northern California advances equity and inclusion in the workplace by providing equal employment opportunity to support a work environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (over 40), sexual orientation, military and veteran status, arrest or conviction record, and any other basis prohibited by law. The organization also provides reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. This equal employment opportunity policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, advancement, training, problem resolution, and separation from employment. Through this policy, the ACLU-NC strives to establish and maintain an equitable and accessible work environment that is supportive and free from discrimination.