The ACLU of Northern California (ACLU NorCal) seeks a Senior Digital Strategist for the San Francisco, Sacramento, or Fresno offices.
Our work is guided by the principles of freedom, equality, and justice enumerated in the Constitution. However, we know that because of historic and systemic racism and other forms of oppression, these principles are not equitably applied to all. In an ideal world, everyone would have equal access to justice and equal protection under the law. Unfortunately, neither our world nor our country is ideal. Our work involves hard subject matter that can be emotionally draining for some people. Ideal candidates will understand that as a mission driven organization, we strive to make the world a better place knowing that the road is long and hard. At the same time, we understand the importance of self-care, and do our best to reflect that in our practices and values.
This position is represented by IFPTE Local 20.
About the Organization
The ACLU of Northern California is an affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, a nationwide, non- profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights. The ACLU of Northern California (ACLU NorCal) is comprised of two distinct corporations, the ACLU Foundation of Northern California (the “Foundation”, a 501c3) and the ACLU of Northern California (the “Union”, a 501c4). The incumbent is a joint employee of both corporations. For most of the last century, ACLU Nor Cal has been part of many of the most major – and sometimes controversial – struggles for civil liberties and civil rights in our state.
Our mission is to ensure that Constitutional rights don’t just exist on paper but are protected in practice. As we move into a new era, we face dangerous policies that threaten our civil rights and civil liberties. We must use our decades of experience in impact litigation, legislative advocacy, and fearless organizing to fight these policies and protect our most cherished rights and freedoms. At the same time, ACLU NorCal is committed to advancing proactive and positive change to transform laws and institutions to advance our values. We are committed to fostering an anti-racist work culture and support anti-racist principles and learning.
The ACLU NorCal physical offices are open. Up to date vaccination against COVID-19 is required as a condition of employment unless an exemption is requested and approved. Masking is required for in person work at this time.
Duties & Responsibilities
Website management, maintenance, and production
- Implement content and design updates that keep site dynamic and current.
- Partner with external website development firm for ongoing website maintenance and improvement.
- Skills and knowledge of Drupal and other content management software.
- Partner with internal stakeholders on the conceptualization, development, and implementation of any website-based requests and projects.
- Provide troubleshooting and tech support.
Digital strategy development and implementation
- Integrate digital tactics across multiple channels (i.e., social media, email, website, paid digital advertising, and more).
- Collaborate with the communications and program teams to develop cross-channel digital strategies that meet organizational goals.
- Own all email marketing functions.
- Manage ACLU NorCal’s branded social media accounts, including daily monitoring, publishing, and audience refinement and development.
- Develop and execute channel-specific strategies.
- Build, optimize, and run online ads across various platforms.
- Integrate digital strategy to achieve campaign goals.
- When required, serve as functional lead on digital campaign activities.
- Demonstrated ability to respond to standard challenges and interpersonal dynamics between teams.
Data and metric analysis
- Audit/review/analyze data and metrics for social media, email, website, digital ad accounts, etc.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 5 years’ experience with digital organizing, strategy, and managing and planning for digital platforms.
(We welcome you to include any lived experience you are comfortable sharing in your cover letter or an additional attachment).
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Professional experience using CRM technology, Google Analytics, and social media analytics trackers
- Proficiency with social media advertising
- Graphic design skills
- Experience with issue-based campaigning, brand, and digital organizing strategy
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills especially for action emails and social media messaging
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficient with Drupal and other content management systems
- HTML Proficient/ SASS/CMS
- Knowledge of public policy with a demonstrated commitment to civil rights, civil liberties, racial and social justice.
- Springboard 360
- DRUPAL 8 or later version
- HTML Proficient/SASS/CSS
- Email cloud programs
- Springboard 360
- Vendor Management
We are committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce through equity initiatives, which includes equitable pay practices. Competitive compensation is commensurate with experience. Starting salary range for this position is $89,441.94 - $99,908.55.
We understand how vital our work is and at the same time understand the toll engaged activism can take. Our goal is to retain staff and we believe that having a robust benefit offering is vital in meeting that goal. Our benefits include four weeks paid vacation in addition to 14 office holidays; fully employer-paid medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents and spouse or domestic partner; life and long-term disability insurance; and 401(k) plan with employer match. We have a robust Employee Assistance Program and emerging Employee Resource Groups.
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will be evaluating applications on a rolling basis. Applications must include (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter, and 3) a list of three references. (link or sample of work product welcomed). Applicants concurrently applying to any other position with the ACLU should state what other position they are applying for in the cover letter. Please submit your application online at: https://boards.greenhouse.io/aclunc/jobs/6758723002
The ACLU NorCal is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The ACLU of Northern California advances equity and inclusion in the workplace by providing equal employment opportunity to support a work environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (over 40), sexual orientation, military and veteran status, and any other basis prohibited by law. The organization also provides reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. This equal employment opportunity policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, advancement, training, problem resolution, and separation from employment. Through this policy, the ACLU NorCal strives to establish and maintain an equitable and accessible work environment that is free from discrimination and supportive of a workforce that reflects the rich diversity of our communities and the people we serve. ACLU NorCal will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).