Invest in California Families: SB 899
Repeal the Maximum Family Grant Rule!
We support SB 899 because it repeals California’s harmful policy of denying financial support to babies if their families are receiving CalWORKs basic needs grants. The only exceptions to this policy, known as the Maximum Family Grant (MFG) rule, are for rape and the failure of certain long-acting contraceptives specified in the law.
Perpetuating poverty is bad for children
One in four California children lives in poverty. Research shows that children who experience the toxic stress of deep poverty experience more physiological and cognitive health problems than other children.
The MFG rule intentionally limits the reproductive decisions of poor women. Policies like this one undermine families. A family's salary should not determine when and how it grows.
Providing families with the resources they need helps us build a stronger, healthier, and happier California. We need to repeal the MFG rule.
Who is supporting this bill?
The Invest in California Families campaign is convened by the Women's Policy Institute Reproductive Justice Team, along with the sponsors of SB 899: ACCESS Women’s Health Justice, the ACLU of California, California Latinas for Reproductive Justice, County Welfare Directors Association of California, East Bay Community Law Center, and Western Center on Law and Poverty.
Join the campaign »
Follow the campaign on Twitter at @investinfams and share the following messages with your networks:
- Providing California families with the resources they need helps us build strong, healthier, and happier families. #RepealMFG
- Opportunity should not be limited for the most vulnerable among us. #SupportAllFamilies
- One in four California children lives in poverty. #RepealMFG
- Policies like the maximum family grant undermine families. #SupportAllFamilies
- What a family makes should not determine when and how it grows. #SupportAllFamilies #RepealMFG
Visit www.investincaliforniafamilies.org for more information.