Be The Change: Take Action in 2021
Change happens because of people like you. Join our people-powered movement for justice, equity and freedom!
No matter your level of experience, there is an opportunity for everyone to get involved:
- Sign up for our general volunteer e-mail list to receive information about upcoming trainings, virtual events, and opportunities to take action.
- Join us for a text or phone bank. Our Outreach Team helps us mobilize voters to contact their lawmakers, turn people out for online events, and connect people to ACLU resources. We will host multiple phone or text banks per month, starting in March. Check back here for details later in the year!
- Chapters are the grassroots team of the ACLU, organizing locally across Northern California. They host events to build community and educate the public, cultivate partnerships with local organizations and leaders, and work with staff to move forward ACLU campaign goals and civil liberties priorities. Learn more at one of our chapter information sessions:
- Monday, February 8th at 6pm
- Mid-February TBD, in Spanish
2021 Training and Events Calendar
Please sign up for individual trainings and events below. You can sign up for one or all: they’re free! Check back here for recordings and an updated calendar as we add new trainings and events throughout the year. If at any time you have questions, please email Claire Machado.
- Thursday, January 28 at 5:30pm: Be an ACLU NorCal Change Maker: 2021 Campaign Priorities
Join the ACLU Organizing Team to learn what’s at stake in 2021, how we plan to move forward a powerful agenda, and how you can be involved. This event has passed, but you can view the recording at your convenience.
- Trainings for Change Makers: Meeting with Elected Officials
Your elected officials work for you! Learn how to effectively meet with your elected official and talk to them about the issues that matter to you. After the training, we will provide you the materials to meet with your State Senator or Assemblymember to talk about ACLU legislative priorities. Register for the training by clicking on your preferred date:
- Chapter Orientations: Email Tammy Kreznar for specific information for your chapter.
- Culture Shift | Trainings for Equity and Racial Justice: Combatting White Supremacy in Progressive Spaces
Culture Shift Trainings are held on the first Tuesday of odd-numbered months at 6pm, with office hours for further discussion on the first Thursday. Register for the training by clicking on your preferred date below:
- Trainings for Change Makers: Opportunities for Advocacy in the Local Budget Process
The local budget processes in your city and county are opportunities to make your voice heard and advocate for issues important to your community. Join us to learn how you can make the most of this opportunity!
- ACLU of California Virtual Lobby Days
Join us for a week of learning followed by a week of actions and legislative visits to make our voices heard at the state capitol. Workshops and trainings will be held from April 12-16 with lobby visits to follow during the week of April 19-23. Links to reserve your spot and register will be available soon. Send an email to Tessa D’Arcangelew Ampersand with questions.
- Culture Shift | Trainings for Equity and Racial Justice: Preference, Tradition, or Requirement: How to move past “we’ve always done it this way” to create inspiring spaces where everyone belongs
Culture Shift Trainings are held on the first Tuesday of odd-numbered months, with office hours for further discussion on the first Thursday. Registration for the May 4th event will be available soon.
- Trainings for Change Makers: Local Legislative Process
The legislative process at the city, county or even school district level can be accessible and provide meaningful opportunities for the community to contribute to real change that impacts people’s lives. Learn how these processes work and how you can be part of making change happen, including the key decision-makers and effective tactics to influence them. Please check back for registration details.