April 29 Marked 100 Days of Resistance
On Nov. 9, 2016 we awoke to a new reality. America had elected Donald J. Trump as its 45th President thereby endorsing some of the most divisive and odious policies ever promised by a leader in the modern world.
When Trump boasted that he would achieve the most biased of his controversial goals we vowed to use the laws of this nation and the constitution to fight back. “We’ll see you in court” became the ACLU's mantra.
April 29, 2017 marked President Trump’s 100th day in office. It also marked 100 days of our resistance.
With the support of our partners and members, here are some of the ways the ACLU of Northern California has been fighting back:
- When the administration issued the first Muslim ban, we filed Al-Mowafak v. Trump, which challenged its establishment and enforcement.
- In a coordinated effort with 50 other ACLU affiliates, we filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the U.S. Customs & Border Protection to expose how Trump administration officials were interpreting and executing the Muslim ban.
- We celebrated the ACLU win in the Ninth Circuit that halted the ban.
- Executive Director Abdi Soltani delivered a speech entitled “The Long March for Justice” on the 75th anniversary of Executive Order 9066 authorizing the internment of Japanese Americans. Abdi drew parallels to the anti-Muslim fervor in the nation and reflected on the meaning of constitutional rights and protections.
- We issued this statement on the Muslim ban 2.0, Trump’s second attempt at an unconstitutional and discriminatory ban.
- In response to the Muslim ban 2.0, we amended and filed the suit Al-Mowafak v. Trump.
- We issued this statement and celebrated again when the Muslim ban 2.0 was also blocked.
- We filed two claims on behalf of sisters who were sexually assaulted by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer. We noted our concern that the Trump administration’s anti-immigration policies created a climate of fear and concern for the most vulnerable.
- We rallied at the state capitol for Conference and Lobby Day to urge lawmakers to make legislative choices that ensured liberty and justice for all especially pertaining to bail reform, immigration, and religious freedom.
- With ACLU affiliates from across the country, we filed Freedom of Information Act lawsuits demanding the government turn over documents about the implementation of both Muslim bans.
- In a decision stemming from a lawsuit challenging Trump’s Executive Order threatening to withhold federal funding from so-called sanctuary cities, we celebrated a win on Tuesday when the court issued a nationwide preliminary injunction blocking the denial of funds.
- Since Trump’s inauguration, we’ve hosted approximately 40 Civic Education in Action webinars & events and Know Your Rights canvasser trainings. Collectively, thousands have participated.